The Cedars - a history
The following information was compiled by Mickleton Women’s Institute:
110 yards E of Tudor House, on N side of the lane leading off E side of High Street, opposite Butcher’s shop.
Camera facing W.
Listed: 3/II House. C17. Rubble, Cotswold stone roof (now tiled). 2 s[torey]. Stone mullion and transom windows. Gables with finials. Inscription “RWM 1678”.
If the inscription follows the usual pattern, the surname first, followed by the Christian names of the man and his wife, and then the date (Dawber, ‘Historic Buildings in the Cotswolds’, Batsford, 1904, p41) it seems likely that this house was built by William Rose, gent. whose name appears in ‘Gloucestershire Marriage Allegations, 1637-1680’. (BGAS 1954) at October 19, 1675:
Rose, William, Mickleton, gent. and Margaret Ashwyn, Cowhonyborne, W: Bdm. Edward x Porter, Brodforton, Worcs, yeom.
IN 1682 and 1683 William Rose, gent. was one of the persons summoned from this Parish by the Heralds (Bigland’s ‘Gloucestershire, 1791. By 1698, according to the Estate map of Mickleton, he was living at Tudor House a larger establishment.
Creator
UnknownDate of creation
1970Date of coverage
1975Place
Mickleton, Ivy House LaneCopyright
Copyright Mickleton Community ArchiveLicense
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC-BY-NC-ND)Reference number
0817Format
Subject
Mickleton, England, United Kingdom
You can carry out an advanced search of the archive by search term.


No Comments
Add a comment about this page